Diamond Carat Price: How Carat Weight Affects Diamond Cost
Alicia Briggs | February 6, 2023
Alicia Briggs | February 6, 2023
When it comes to diamond carat prices, you may notice a large range in costs. As diamond carat weight increases, so will the price —but just how much depends on several other factors, such as diamond shape and quality. If you’re looking for a higher-carat diamond, read on to understand how carat weight will affect the total price of your diamond and how to buy the best diamond for you.
For complimentary personalized guidance, book an appointment with our VRAI Diamond Experts to easily find the perfect diamond at the carat weight and price you’re looking for.
What Is Diamond Carat?
Diamond carat is the weight of a diamond. Carat is a unit of measurement that was created to calculate a diamond’s weight. Carat weight is not the same as diamond size, but the higher the carat weight, the bigger the diamond. However, how much bigger diamonds of a higher carat weight appear depends on each diamond’s measurements and shape.
What Affects The Price of A Diamond?
Several factors impact the total cost of a diamond or diamond ring. The Diamond 4Cs - cut, color, clarity, and carat weight, will influence the price of a diamond. A higher diamond grade will increase the diamond’s price.
Additionally, diamond shape plays a large role in the price of a diamond. Popular diamond shapes, like a Round Brilliant cut diamond, will cost the most due to high demand. Fancy-shaped diamonds, or diamonds that don’t have as much demand, will cost less. If you’re on a budget but prefer higher carat weights, opt for a less popular diamond shape to help lower your total cost.
If you’re purchasing a diamond ring, the metal choice and setting will also impact the overall price. For example, platinum engagement rings will cost more than a solid gold band, while 18k gold will cost more than 14k gold rings. Certain engagement ring settings will also cost more, as will a pavé set band versus a plain band.
Does The Carat Of A Diamond Affect The Price?
Carat weight is a significant factor in determining the total price of a diamond, but it’s not the only one. The price of a diamond exponentially rises after 1 carat, with a 2 carat diamond often more than double the cost. Why? Because the higher the carat weight, the bigger the loose diamond it was cut from. This means the diamond is rarer and therefore more valuable.
Diamond Pricing By Carat
While most larger diamonds are more expensive, diamond pricing by carat is not fixed. While some diamonds will double or even triple when they go up a carat, others won’t have as significant a price increase. This is because of the additional factors listed above.
1 carat diamond prices and above will vary. You can compare diamond prices when you use our 1 carat diamond price chart. Our diamond inventory shows you the price of every VRAI created diamond, no matter the carat size. This way, you can easily figure out how to buy a diamond that is most aligned with your budget and carat preference.
How Much Does A 3 Carat Diamond Ring Cost?
When it comes to 3 carat diamond rings, the cost of an engagement ring often rises significantly. VRAI 3 carat diamond rings generally range from $5,026- $9,785 at the time of publication.
How To Buy A Diamond Ring By Carat Weight
If you’re wondering how to buy an engagement ring, we can help. There are a few steps to take to choose the perfect engagement ring:
- Set a Budget: Make sure you understand what your price range is before looking so you can select a diamond that doesn’t cause you financial stress. Our VRAI Diamond Experts can help you get an idea of how much you should spend on an engagement ring so that you can budget accordingly.
- Choose a Diamond Shape: It’s easier to find your perfect diamond ring when you know what diamond shape you’re looking for. Explore our online inventory by diamond shape or, if you need help deciding on a shape, take our diamond quiz.
- Understand the 4Cs: Once you know what diamond you’re interested in, you can use the diamond 4Cs to better understand the value and quality of your diamond. When you book an appointment, our VRAI Diamond Experts can help.
- Design Your Engagement Ring: After you’ve narrowed down your perfect diamond, you can select the setting, metal color, and band to create your diamond ring, online or in person.
- Purchase Online: Once you’ve designed your ring, you can tap Purchase to order your ring online. You can also buy your diamond engagement ring at one of our VRAI Showrooms.
Whether you’re choosing a diamond engagement ring or wedding ring, our VRAI Diamond Experts are available to provide complimentary guidance.
Why You Should Choose a Lab-Grown Diamond Ring
When you choose a VRAI lab-grown diamond ring, you’re choosing a high-quality diamond ring that is also sustainably created. Unlike mined diamonds, lab-grown diamonds have a fully traceable point of origin and are created without human or environmental toll.
Lab-grown diamonds are identical to mined diamonds when it comes to their chemical composition. However, lab-grown diamonds are often more affordable, so you can get a stunning diamond at a higher carat weight for less.
At VRAI, we produce all of our lab-grown diamonds in our zero-emission foundry, without middlemen. This allows us to oversee the entire production process and offer diamonds at a lower cost than our competitors.