Engagement Party Gifts: Do You Bring a Gift to an Engagement Party?
Alicia Briggs | October 31, 2023
Alicia Briggs | October 31, 2023
Engagement parties are a wonderful way to celebrate a major milestone in a couple’s life. When invited to an engagement party, chances are you’re excited for your loved ones. But, you might be unsure of engagement party etiquette, and whether or not you need to bring a gift. Read on for everything you need to know about engagement party gifts, with 25 great gift ideas for every budget, including VRAI created diamond jewelry gifts.
Do You Bring a Gift to an Engagement Party?
It’s traditional to bring a gift to an engagement party, but it’s not required or expected. While wedding gifts are custom, the expectations for engagement party gifts depend more on the couple, your budget, and the party.
If you’re invited to an engagement party, consider the following to decide whether you should bring a gift.
You Should Bring a Gift to an Engagement Party If…
- The food and/or beverages for the engagement party are paid for.
- The couple values traditional etiquette and customs, such as gift-giving.
- Most guests are planning to.
- You received a formal invitation, not simply a short text, to a planned event.
- If you’re a member of their inner circle or a close family member.
- The event is on the formal side, or it’s more intimate.
You Don’t Need to Bring a Gift to an Engagement Party If…
- The guest list is extensive.
- You live out of town and can’t attend (though some people may still send a gift).
- There wasn’t much advance notice.
- You didn’t have to formally RSVP, and it’s a relaxed party.
- You know that the couple doesn’t like or care about gifts.
- You’re on a budget, and your loved ones are aware (bring a card if you feel like you need to contribute).
- You’re paying for your portion of the evening.
- You’re helping cover the cost of the party, or you will be paying for other events like the bachelorette party.
While these guidelines can help you decide if you need to bring a gift or not, the expectations can differ for everyone. At the end of the day, you’re the one who knows and loves the newly engaged couple. Let your relationship and judgment determine if you should bring a gift or not.
What Kind of Gifts Are Given at an Engagement Party?
Engagement party gifts should be thoughtful, helpful, and tailored to the couple. They don’t need to be extravagant or costly like a wedding gift. They also typically aren’t raunchy or cheesy, like a bachelor or bachelorette party gift.
Engagement party gifts are either celebratory, such as a bottle of bubbly or flowers, or they are useful. Small, practical gifts that help the couple start this next chapter, like candles, plants, or even cash, are all appropriate for an engagement party.
Stay in touch and enjoy $100 off
Sign up for email or text and receive $100 towards a VRAI purchase over $750.
25 Engagement Party Gift Ideas
Let the couple's interests, tastes, and needs inform the gift that you choose. Use the 25 engagement party gift ideas below to help inspire your gift selection.
Last Minute Engagement Party Gifts
- Card with a thoughtful message.
- A beautiful arrangement of flowers.
- A planner to help them stay organized with wedding planning.
- Champagne, or non-alcoholic champagne, for a toast.
- A gift card to their favorite store or restaurant. You can even buy these virtually and email them to the couple if you’re particularly short on time, or out of town.
Traditional Engagement Party Gifts
- A box of gourmet chocolates.
- Candles, or personalized candles, for a cozy home.
- A check or cash is always appreciated.
- Plants are a traditional gift for couples to represent their blossoming new chapter and the growth ahead.
- Matching wine glasses to use for a celebratory toast.
Unique Engagement Party Gifts
- An Airbnb experience for a fun activity that they can do together, like a cooking class.
- Engrave a necklace with their initials or the engagement date. Our Solitaire Bar Pendant is a particularly romantic choice.
- A customized art print that features the new couple, something they love, or tells a part of their story.
- Meal kit subscription for the busy couple that is about to get even busier with wedding planning.
- Personalized scrapbook to document adventures, future milestones, or wedding mementos.
Luxury Engagement Party Gifts
- Spa gift card for a couples massage and day of relaxation.
- Fine jewelry to wear forever as a reminder of this special day.
- Wine subscription for their favorite wine.
- Quality linens or bedspread set for their new home.
- Gourmet charcuterie set with a personalized charcuterie board.
Engagement Party Gifts for Couples
- Engraved mugs with their initials or new titles.
- Couple’s cookbook for the foodies who are excited to spend more time in the kitchen together.
- Custom ring dish for the bride to safely store her engagement ring, and the couple’s future wedding rings.
- Couple’s journal to document their dreams, goals, and life together.
- Embroidered hand towels.
Engagement Party Gift FAQs
Consider the following for more engagement party etiquette tips.
How Much Should I Spend on an Engagement Party Gift?
While engagement party gifts are often expected, they do not need to be extravagant, or as big as a wedding gift. Everyone has different budgets, and chances are, the couple is aware of everyone’s different financial situations. Only give a gift that’s within your budget. A thoughtfully written card can be just as special as a large check.
Is It Customary to Give an Engagement Party?
Many couples choose to have an engagement party, and if they do, the couple typically hosts. Engagement parties can be intimate with just a few friends or family members, or they can be a big bash. It’s up to the couple whether or not they have an engagement party, and what it entails.
Should I Give Money at an Engagement Party?
You can absolutely give money at an engagement party. Money is a common engagement party gift. Couples always appreciate cash, especially with their upcoming wedding costs.
Is It Rude Not to Go to an Engagement Party?
It’s not necessarily rude to not go to an engagement party, but, if you’re not attending, this should be appropriately communicated to the couple.
Traditionally, only people who will be invited to the wedding are invited to the engagement party. But, unlike weddings, engagement parties are often more casual, and thrown with less advance notice.
If you’re unable to attend due to a prior conflict, or you’re out of town, it’s not rude to not attend. Whatever the reason, inform the couple beforehand. Consider sending a card or gift in your absence, if your budget allows.
Explore VRAI Fine Jewelry Engagement Party Gifts
VRAI created diamond jewelry is the perfect gift to celebrate your loved one's upcoming nuptials. Whether it’s an engraved piece of jewelry or a matching necklace, VRAI offers a range of customizable jewelry gifts.
Thanks to our vertically integrated supply chain, and carbon-neutral certified lab-grown diamonds, VRAI fine jewelry perfectly reflects the couple’s values and beauty.