How to care for your VRAI jewelry and engagement ring
At VRAI, we pride ourselves on working with the highest quality materials to create fine jewelry and engagement rings that last a lifetime. Featuring sustainably created diamonds, recycled solid gold, and platinum, our jewelry is designed with a timeless appeal meant to be passed down as heirlooms.
Aside from their sentimental value, fine jewelry and engagement rings are precious investment pieces that require special care and protection. Here are a few tips from our team, to ensure that your VRAI jewelry maintains its brilliance and shine, for years to come:
Cleaning your jewelry
If you wear your jewelry every day, we recommend that you opt for occasional cleaning, as dust, pollution and daily wear can impact the sparkle of your diamond and the longevity of the piece. Here are the different ways that you can properly clean your jewelry:
Steps: Mix dish soap into a cup of warm water until fully dissolved. Dip your jewelry in the solution and use a soft cloth (or soft bristle toothbrush) to gently scrub clean. Rinse with clean water and let dry on a clean, soft cloth.
Steps: Mix EO with witch hazel or vinegar in a small bowl. Add jewelry and soak for approximately 5 minutes. If needed, wipe with a soft cloth to loosen the dirt. Rinse with water and dry on a clean, soft cloth.
Steps: This machine works by sending sound waves through a cleaning solution to remove serious dirt and grime. Just place your jewelry in the basket, and let it work its magic.
Professional care for your jewelry
For more precious jewelry designs, especially those featuring larger VRAI created diamonds, we recommend professional maintenance at least once a year to ensure they are in perfect condition.
- With every VRAI engagement ring and wedding band, we offer a Lifetime Care Package that has everything you need to keep your ring in perfect condition. This includes complimentary resizing, annual shine, and our Lifetime Warranty.
- Prongs holding in stones, both big and small, should be checked a minimum of once annually by a professional to ensure everything is safe and secure.
- We suggest looking into the re-polishing/plating of your jewelry once every 3-5 years. Be sure to have all prongs checked and stones tightened after each polishing.
Storing your jewelry
When you’re not wearing your jewelry, it’s important to keep it in a safe and protected place. Here are some of our recommendations on how to store your jewelry:
- Diamond is the hardest material on earth; however, they are not indestructible and other diamonds can cause scratches when they are in contact with each other. Make sure to store each piece separately, or within individual protective cases to prevent tangling and scratching.
- Try to keep your jewelry away from intense heat, ideally at room temperature.
When to take off your jewelry
To keep your jewelry protected from external damage, we advise that you take it off during the following activities:
- Remove your jewelry before bed as certain pieces have chains that may twist, kink or tangle.
In the ocean
While a quick dip in the ocean won’t impact your VRAI jewelry, the saltwater can lead to the weakening of gold, silver or platinum and the potential blemishing of diamonds. We suggest taking your VRAI jewelry off if you will be in the water for an extended period of time or properly rinsing it after exposure to the saltwater.
It is also important to remember that cooler temperatures can cause fingers to shrink after a prolonged period of time. Be mindful of your rings as they could easily slip off.
In the pool
- Harsh chemicals can break down the molecular structure of gold so make sure to take off your jewelry before entering the pool or hot tub.
In the shower or bath
- Although you can wear your engagement ring and staple pieces during your everyday self-care routine, it is advised that you take them off if you’re using any harsh chemicals or soaps. If your jewelry is left on, be mindful of any residue left behind, make sure to rinse it with water and use a soft cloth to dry it gently and thoroughly.
During physical activity
Sweating won’t impact your jewelry but it does expose it to your body’s natural oils. We suggest either taking off your jewelry before hitting the gym or to clean it from time to time to fight those oils and to maintain their brilliance.
It is important to keep an eye out for activities that could be potentially harmful to your VRAI jewelry, especially household chores like gardening and washing the dishes that often involve contact with certain jewelry pieces like engagement rings and bracelets.
For any questions about how to protect and care for your VRAI jewelry, email our customer experts at firstname.lastname@example.org.